Loyalty testing should be completed prior to launching a loyalty program on Olo and each time a new reward is created to ensure that it is redeeming correctly before added to users' loyalty accounts. You can place test orders at the demo vendor to observe the loyalty order flow (e.g., changes to available rewards, new Serve tabs, text changes, and appearance of new discount sections and logic). Please refer to the sections below for more information.
|Testing Guidelines||Best Practices|
|Reward Testing Expectations - Pre-Launch||Test Cases|
|Reward Testing Expectations - Post-Launch||Web Test Cases (Custom Front-End and Olo Serve site)|
|How to Place Test Orders||Mobile App Test Cases|
- Olo’s Guest Engagement Specialist team is available to assist with loyalty testing M-F 9am-6pm ET.
- If you are requesting to test outside of business hours (9am-6pm ET), our Support team can assist with making configuration changes to allow your brand to test.
- Note: Our Specialist and overall team will not be available to assist with troubleshooting if you are testing off hours. If you run into any issues, please provide us with the order/basket ID, vendor, and account you are testing with so that we can troubleshoot during business hours.
Reward Testing Expectations - Pre-Launch
- The Guest Engagement Specialist will test the loyalty rewards prior to a project launch with a new loyalty provider and share documented test notes
- Loyalty Provider and your team will also perform reward testing prior to launch
- Loyalty Provider is to review the notes and errors logged and take appropriate action to resolve those issues. Once those issues are resolved, your team, the loyalty provider's team, and the Olo team can resume testing.
Reward Testing Expectations - Post-Launch
- The Guest Engagement Specialist will let you know when your project closes and when you’ll need to reach out to our Support team when you add new rewards.
- When new rewards are added post-launch, please follow the test cases below and test any new rewards to ensure they function as intended
- If Olo’s support is needed for troubleshooting, please submit a request to Olo’s Support team here.
- Your team is responsible for testing any new loyalty rewards and coupons thereafter before pushing it out to guests
How to Place Test Orders
- On the vendor page, sign in or create a loyalty account. With this step, you can also test the forgot password functionality and click on the “forgot password” link and follow the prompts.
- Back on the vendor page, add items to the basket.
- Select an Order Handoff mode and the Order For time wanted (the time selected should be within the store’s availability hours).
- On the Checkout page, enter contact and payment information.
- Click to apply a reward to your order.
- If successfully applied, a discount will be applied to your order.
- If the basket does not contain an eligible item or the reward is not configured correctly at the POS or loyalty provider’s end, an error will be returned.
- Click to Place Order. You will be directed to the Order Confirmation screen, which displays the order details for review.
- Once the order is fired to the POS, confirm that the order has fully closed and loyalty points have been gifted for the order, if applicable.
- For test transactions or brands using a Mock payment processor, you can place orders with a mock credit card:
- Mock CC #: 4111-1111-1111-1111
- Expiration: any future date (e.g., 05/26)
- CVV: 123
- Zip Code: 10004
- If testing Dispatch/Delivery orders, you can use this mock address:
- 26 Broadway, New York, NY 10004
Web Test Cases (Custom Front-End and Olo Serve site)
- Single Sign On (SSO) test cases:
- Login via Sign In button on vendor page
- Login via Checkout flow after building a basket
- Sign up and create a new account with selected login provider(s)
- Successfully received a welcome email
- Test login flow with an existing loyalty account and get redirected back to the vendor page you were on to continue ordering
- Confirm if the SSO button text needs to be updated
- Confirm forgot password functionality (i.e., able to receive password reset email and able to set new password)
- To test with each reward:
- Place pickup order to test lab with mock payment
- Place one pickup order to test lab with mock payment for each reward
- Place one delayed pickup (scheduled) order to test lab with mock payment for each reward
- Place one delivery order to test lab with mock payment for each reward
- Place an order with each handoff mode (e.g., Curbside Pickup), with and without a reward applied to test that the handoff mode is configured correctly
- For each reward, attempt to place one order that’s outside of the reward criteria (e.g., if a reward is for a specific product, add anything but the qualifying product to your basket; if there’s a minimum spend, don’t meet it; etc.)
- For each reward, confirm what happens when a standard exclusion item is added to the basket (e.g., if the reward is a $ of %-Off, what happens when an alcoholic beverage is added)
- Attempt to place an order with multiple rewards and coupons applied at once
- For each product-specific reward:
- Follow each test case above
- Confirm what happens when multiple eligible items are added to the basket
- Loyalty accrual test:
- Confirm loyalty accrual for all orders placed
- Note: orders must be closed at the POS for accrual to send to the loyalty provider. You can check this by confirming that you see points granted to your loyalty account via the loyalty provider’s dashboard
- Confirm loyalty accrual for all orders placed
- If using coupons:
- Create a test coupon with your coupon provider and apply that test coupon to applicable orders to test the functionality
- Confirm if the coupon field is available for vendors
- Attempt to cancel or modify an order placed and confirm that the order is successfully voided/refunded, if applicable
Mobile App Test Cases
- Place pickup order to lab store using an existing loyalty account
- Place delivery order to lab store using an existing loyalty account
- Repeat above steps from Web Test Scenarios to test app and reward functionality
- For stores that are offline, should you still be able to place orders within the app?
- Confirm if menu images pulling in and look proportionate
- If you are seeing a ‘selected reward is invalid’ error message, please refer to this article.
- If you are seeing an ‘error validating basket’ error message, this error can be returned for various reasons.
- Please ensure that your POS is connected to the vendor in which you are testing. You can check this in your Olo Dashboard.
- If you run into an error while testing and need Olo assistance, please submit a request here with the details below and provide a basket or order ID with any errors you see.
- You can locate a basket or Order ID by:
- The order ID will be shown on the confirmation page and email
- On Serve, click “Your Order” 10 times in succession to have your basket ID automatically copied
- If you encounter an error testing on an app, mobile web, or Serve, go back and remove the reward, and place the order as normal and provide Olo with the Order ID associated with your transaction. This will assist us in troubleshooting the error.