Menu Admin users are able to specify which days, dates, and hours a menu item or modifier should be unavailable for ordering. Ordering guests can place scheduled orders before the unavailable start date, for handoff after the unavailable end date.
In the below example, we have a product Special Latte that is configured to be unavailable for a given date range. As a result, this Special Latte LTO is unavailable from 9/13/2021 to 9/30/2021. A customer can place an ASAP order leading up to 9/13/2021 for the Special Latte. If the advanced order days are configured to allow it, the customer can also place an advanced order for 9/31/2021.
- In this example, Special Latte is unavailable from 9/13/2021 to 9/30/2021.
- This means that Special Latte is orderable before 9/13/2021 and after 9/30/2021, but not available for fulfillment during 9/13/2021 - 9/30/2021 (inclusive of both dates). However, if this item is made visible on the menu between 9/13/2021 - 9/30/2021, a customer would be able to place a future order, for fulfillment after 9/30/2021. Details on hiding or showing items based on their availability can be found in the next section of this article.
A few things to note:
- These changes will be reflected in the Ordering API within the availability object for products and choices. This will also be displayed on Serve, and will also be exported to Rails marketplaces that support availability schedules.
- Availability verbiage can either be shown or hidden on products. If you have set availability for a product and if the availability verbiage is not displaying although you would like it to, reach out to us and we can enable it for you. Please note that if you have set availability at the modifier level, availability verbiage will not display on modifiers.
- You can either display these menu items/modifiers (that have availability set) at all times on your menu, or you could hide them on the menu outside of their availability days, dates, and hours. The benefit of showing these products and modifiers at all times is that customers can place future orders (e.g. ordering tonight for breakfast tomorrow). Reach out to us if you would like these items to display on the menu at all times.
Steps to Setting Unavailable Date Range:
- Log in to the Dashboard
- Click on the Menus tab on the left side of the screen and click Manage Store Menu on the next screen
- Select the store(s) whose menu you’d like to update from the list of the stores you have access to
- To update the availability for a single product, click on the name of the product and then click on the Availability Schedule tab in the pop-up.
- Navigate to Use Custom Availability Dates
- Then, change the Rule from Available to Unavailable in the drop down list. Enter in the desired date range, and click Save
- If you would like to update the availability for a modifier choice, click on Modifiers, on the item containing the modifier choice.
- Click on Choices on the modifier group containing the modifier choice you are trying to set availability for.
- Click on the name of the modifier and then set the appropriate availability within the Availability Schedule tab in the pop-up
While Olo has the ability to either hide or show items when they are unavailable, if the items are visible at all times and a customer tries to place an order outside the availability range, Olo will show an error telling the customer the product is available only at designated times.
Menu Item Availability in the Ordering API
API Partners will now have access to Menu Item Availability start and end dates through the menu endpoint in addition to whether an item is “Available Right Now” or “Always Available.”
Menu item availability start and end dates as well as the availability days and hours information is also available within the file produced by the Vendor Export tool.