Operators, Technical Teams, Account Managers, Engineers, & Product Teams
This article is iterative and lists the most common FAQs we get from brands that are using Olo with integration to Brink POS.
1. Do my guests get charged tax from Olo or from the POS?
- The tax rate configured, via the Olo Dashboard, will be used while customers are building their cart(s) to show them an estimated tax amount. Once a customer goes to the checkout page, the final total and tax will be pulled directly from the store’s Brink POS.
- Review this article on how to see your tax rate.
2. Where does pricing in Olo come from?
- By default, Brink will accept whatever pricing is being submitted during validation, calculate tax against it, and reply to Olo with the tax and total (using the pricing that was passed to it). The prices set in Olo are retrieved from Brink when the price updater is run at the automatic price updater times or when the price updater is run manually. The only expectation would be if the store has “CalculateItemPrice” enabled or set to true (extremely rare) and this cannot be in use when a store is enabled with Dispatch.
- Olo reads item prices and modifier button prices. Olo does not support price levels, price changes, or price tiers. If an item or modifier contains an incorrect price, please verify that the correct pricing exists in Brink and verify that there are NO mismatches.
- Review this article on how to fix mismatches.
3. How do I control printing in Brink?
- Olo has no control of printing and routing of items/modifiers to printers and video screens. This is solely controlled in Brink.
4. Does Olo support Brink Combos?
- Yes. Please review this article for how to map Brink combos.
5. Why does Olo say my store is offline when my POS is online?
- Olo never communicates directly to the store’s POS. There is more than one thread in a Brink store’s connection to the Brink cloud. The POS thread will ALWAYS be the most persistent connection. This means that while the POS is “online”, the thread or connection to Brink’s ordering service, to which Olo communicates directly, can be sacrificed when bandwidth is low at the store level. Generally, Olo sends a health call about every five minutes to check the status of “terminal 1” in the store. This will check for the current online status.
- Note: An exception is that some stores or brands can be set to always appear online. This is regardless of the store’s connection to the Brink cloud or Olo’s connection to Brink’s ordering service. A store would need to be disabled via the Olo Dashboard to stop an unfavorable customer experience when attempting to place an order.
- Please review this article for more information.
6. Why are items not showing in the Menu Viewer in Menu Admin?
- If an item exists in the local Brink POS and is still not showing in the Menu Viewer, please run the Price Updater to resolve. The Price Updater may be delayed between 8:30 AM-9:30 AM and 3:30 PM-4:30 PM EST due to the platform-wide price update that is run for all brands.
- If modifiers are not assigned to an item but are used in building the Olo menu, they will not appear in the Menu Viewer.
7. How do I refund an Olo order and have it reflected in Brink?
- An order that is scheduled in Olo, and has been paid, but is still waiting to be released to the Brink POS at a scheduled time, can be canceled in Olo and the customer's card will automatically be refunded. No action is required in Brink since the order was never fired to the Brink POS. However, if an order has been fired to the Brink POS, then it needs to be refunded in Olo to reverse the transaction. It will then need to be voided or refunded in the Brink POS for reporting parity.
- Review this article for more information.
8. What do I need to configure in Brink to support Discounts from Olo?
- The Brink POS needs to be configured with a Discount to accept the dollar amount that Olo sends for a Coupon or Reward with an Order.
- Review this article for more information.
9. Can credit cards be separated into individual tenders?
- Yes. Olo, in its simplest form, only needs one Tender to submit prepaid orders (via a generic “external” tender type). However, if your business requires that prepaid order tenders are split up by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express, then an additional tender will be required for each.
10. How do I troubleshoot failed orders?
- Please submit a ticket through our Help Center, and provide us with the details, including Olo ID, regarding your issue, and we'll be happy to help!
11. Where will I see tips from guests on my checks once they are in the POS?
- Generally, tips are combined in the tender payment used for Brink for non-dispatch delivery and Marketplace (aka Rails) orders. However, dispatch tips are separated out into their own item and usually configured as “non-revenue” items on Brink Sales reports.
12. Can I accept payments in-store with Olo or do all orders have to be prepaid?
- Yes. The store would have to be enabled to allow for “in-store” orders and a “tender ID” needs to be provided to Olo. The “tender ID” is generally the same as “cash” in Brink.