Below you will find some of the most common issues with Expo, the possible causes, and solutions. If your issue still persists or is not covered here, submit a ticket and our Support team will be happy to help.
Got an Expo notification or audio alert question? Check out this section for more information.
- Orders not progressing through the status tabs sequentially, or skipping statues (i.e. New Orders going immediately to past orders tab)
- Unable to access the Expo Website. "Your Connection is Not Private" error message
- Having to confirm or accept the same order multiple times, and/or re-add the same Expo device multiple times.
- While adding a device, you get a session expired error.
- While adding a device, you get a "Sorry, an error occurred while processing your request" error.
- While adding a device, you get the "Invalid Device Code" error.
- I am missing important notifications
Issue: Orders not progressing through the status tabs sequentially or skipping statues (i.e. new orders immediately going to the past orders tab)
Possible Cause: The time and date settings of the Expo device and the Timezone settings of the vendor are different. For example, If a location is configured on Eastern Time and the Expo device is on Central Time, all order ready-times will be skewed by 1 hour.
Solution: Confirm timezone in the Dashboard
- Select Settings to the left side of the screen, then Store Settings from the dropdown
- Confirm the desired location and select Store Information
- On the Store Information page, scroll to the timezone field, and confirm the current value is accurate, make updates as needed.
- Finalize any updates, by selecting Save Store Settings in the lower left of the screen
Note: if you do not see the Settings tab, create a ticket with our Support team and confirm your current timezone settings
Confirm Expo device times match Dashboard settings
Setting the time on Android:
- Open the Settings on your phone.
- Scroll down and tap System
- Click Date & time
- Tap the toggle next to Use network-provided time to disable the automatic time OR Toggle Use network-provided time to refresh the geolocation
- Click 'Time' and set it to the correct time. (if manually setting time)
- Click OK
Setting the time on iOS:
- From the Home screen, tap Settings > General > Date & Time.
- Tap the Set Automatically slider to turn it off OR Tap the Set Automatically slider to turn on.
- Select the current time zone and select your time zone. (IF MANUALLY SETTING TIME)
- Select the date or time and scroll up or down to select the correct date and time. (IF MANUALLY SETTING TIME)
Note: It is suggested that you allow your time to be set by your physical location
Issue: Unable to access Expo site - "Your connection is not private" message
Possible Cause: Invalid URL was entered
Solution: Confirm you are entering Expo.Olo.Com. Ensure that the "www." prefix is not being added.
Issue: Having to confirm or accept the same order multiple times, or re-add the same Expo device multiple times
- Browser privacy settings are configured to clear data upon closing or at a set interval
- Your device is configured to Kiosk Mode or a Device Management Mode (MDM)
Solution: If using a laptop with Chrome
- Open the Chrome browser
- Open the Chrome Toolbar (three dots in the upper right corner) and select Settings
- Select Show advanced settings
- Click the Content Settings button located under the Privacy section
- Under the first section labeled Cookies, ensure Keep local data only until you quit your browser is not toggled on
- Click Done
Kiosk Modes or Device Management Modes (MDM)
Any hardware configuration that is designed to clear browser data which is common for kiosk modes and device management software will result in the need to re-add the device. Expo's connection to a location is stored in the same cached data of the browser storage that is often erased by these hardware configurations.
Note: If experiencing this issue on a tablet in the case where there are not multiple devices being used and/or no device management mode is set; the issue requires added support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance, as the recommended mobile browsers (iOS: Safari | Android: Chrome) do not have a clear history on exit setting.
Issue: While adding a device, you get a session expired error
Possible Cause: Attempting to Complete the authentication process on the device you're registering.
Please follow these instructions to add an Expo device:
1. Visit expo.olo.com on the desired Expo device
2. A 6-digit code will appear with instructions - Do not navigate away from this page. (If no code appears, clear the browser's cache and cookie data)
3. On a separate internet-enabled device visit https://my.olo.com/vendor/settings/expo/ (use a separate device as switching between windows on the same device can result in the Expo or Dashboard screen timing out and expiring).
Issue: While adding a device, you get a "Sorry, an error occurred while processing your request" error
Possible Cause: The Olo Dashboard account being used to register the device has not been granted Expo permission.
Solution: Complete the Expo signup form
Issue: While adding a device, you get the "Invalid Device Code" error
Possible Cause: Entering an incompatible registration code into the wrong system environment (i.e. Production and Sandbox). Expo operates under a different URL for each environment (Production/Live or Sandbox/Testing)
Issue: I am missing notifications
Possible Cause: Your screen is timing out due to settings on your device, causing it to go to sleep. Expo must be up and active at all times to ensure the device is receiving orders.
Solution: Remove or disable any Sleep Modes that are setup with the device. The process of this can vary greatly depending on the device.
For iOS Devices:
Video for setting iOS Device to remove “Auto-Lock” functionality
- Make sure the tablet is plugged in
- Navigate to the “Settings” icon on your device
- Navigate to “Display & Brightness”
- Find the option “Auto-Lock”
- Set the Auto-Lock time to “NEVER”
- Exit back to the iOS Home screen.
For Android Devices:
For Android Devices, the user must have access to the tablet’s “Developer Mode”. The following steps are for entering this mode and adding the “Stay Awake” mode of operation for the tablet.
- Make sure the tablet is plugged in.
- Find the "Settings" app and click on it.
- Click on "About Tablet" (you may need to scroll to the very bottom to find this).
- There you will see the build number. Click this between 5 - 7 times.
- This will add "Developer Options" to your "Settings".
- Navigate to "Developer Options" and flip the "Stay Awake" toggle. This will keep the screen on whenever the device is plugged in.
- Make sure NOT to touch anything else in "Developer Options".