Technical Teams, Customer Success, Product Development
Description of issue
Brands often want to increase pricing on a marketplace and need to capture that incremental price in POS. Olo can send the marked up amount to POS via what is often referred to as an "open item" in POS, which Olo refers to as a memo item. This article is to assist the DBA on the brand side with the setup in POS. This is for use with Rails Markup Tool - Method 2 and will behave like this:
Rails Markup via Memo Item
Use a Memo Item set up as a copy of the Aloha Memo Item that was setup initially for Olo.
- This item is often referred to by Aloha users as an "open item", flagged as follows:
- Ask For Price
- Ask For Description
- Revenue Item - optional according to brand's preference and POS requirements in CFC Documentation
- Name it 'Rails Markup' or some variation that suits you as it will be on guest checks.
- Keep in mind that in most cases, these receipts are not handed to the guest as they will have a marketplace branded receipt with their delivered order.
- Set up Tax on the Memo Item as is appropriate for the store
- This Fee will live in the body of the guest check that Aloha prints after the commitment to POS.
Steps to implement Rails Markup in Olo
1) Setup the "Rails Markup Item" in CFC under Maintenance > Menu > Items, Save and Refresh Data.
2) Contact Olo with your record ID for the item.
- Olo does support either sending this difference all to one ID as mentioned in Step 3 below. There is also support to send to a specific memo item per marketplace so that it is possible to differentiate in POS reporting.
3) The Olo team will configure the 'InjectRailsPriceDifference' ID on our side for your lab only.
- You will test in lab.
- You will confirm with your Specialist that you are ready for the value to be promoted (this means the record must be promoted to all stores in CFC).
- POS Specialist will promote the value to all stores.
Note- this is the default value when this feature is used; however, it can be overridden by configuring 'InjectRailsPriceDifference_n' where 'n' is the marketplace. (released 5/22/21)
- To determine if this is the right method to use, please review this tutorial and submit the form.