Brand Managers, Marketing Leaders
Due at least in part to current events, including temporary restrictions on in-store dining, many of Olo’s customers have expressed an interest in selling alcohol to their guests for pickup or delivery via ordering sites. We want to do everything we can to help our customers fulfill the demands of their guests, especially given the unusual circumstances facing restaurants today. With that in mind, we have reviewed this particular need and would like to share with you the specific limitations we have instituted relating to the sale of alcohol via Olo.
You will be responsible for complying with any state or local requirements related to the verification of a guest’s age or other determinations necessary to confirm the guest can legally purchase alcohol. To the extent alcohol is ordered through Olo’s platform in any of these circumstances, Olo takes no responsibility for determining the age of the end user and will rely on the assumption that you are taking the necessary steps to comply with law. You may offer alcohol via Olo ordering in the following scenarios only:
- Pickup - this is defined as an order that is placed directly via your website or app and is picked up by the guest at your establishment counter.
- Drive-Thru - this is defined as an order that is placed directly via your website or app and is picked up by the guest via your drive-thru.
- Curbside - this is defined as an order that is placed directly via your website or app and is picked up by the guest on the premises of your establishment but at the curb.
- Self-Delivery - this is defined as an order that is placed directly via your website or app and is delivered by a member of your staff or company owned fleet to the guest.
- Rails - this is defined as an order placed on a marketplace using the Olo Rails integration.
Not permitted at this time is any ordering of alcohol that would be delivered by a 3rd party partner to a guest. This means that dispatch service providers may not pick up orders and deliver them to guests at this time.
We are continuing to review needs and opportunities relating to the sale of alcohol by third party delivery providers. We will keep you updated as we review these opportunities and will notify you if our policies change. If you need further clarification on this topic, please reach out to your CSM.
- Determine/implement your brand's process for verifying age of guests.
- Please review this article to configure products to be available on your site by appropriate handoff modes and follow the steps.