There are two scheduled order billing modes that your restaurant can chose from, bill when scheduled and bill when committed.
Bill When Scheduled
- Charge the customer in full when they place the order.
- Card processors will verify the card and perform an AVS/CVV check on the credit card at the time the order is placed.
- The customer will see an error on the checkout page if their card isn’t accepted (e.g. invalid CVV, insufficient funds, etc.)
- If the customer is ordering today for pickup 3 days from now, you will receive the sales from that order with other sales from today. The order may not be sent to the POS until the day of pickup.
- Tip: For proper reporting we suggest reviewing your sales reports by date placed.
Bill When Committed
- Charge the customer in full when the order is sent to the POS
- If the customer is ordering today for 3 days from now:
- Today: Olo will vault the transaction with the processor once the order is placed. Vaulting with the processor may not verify all card details as not all processors support checking AVS or CVV on vault. If it is a valid card number that has an expiration date in the future, the order will be accepted.
- Once the order is sent to the POS: Olo will submit the customer’s vaulted token to the processor. At this time, the processor will perform a check on the zip code (AVS) and the customer will be charged if the bank doesn’t return any errors. If the zip code is incorrect or if we encounter another billing error (e.g. insufficient funds, etc.) the order will move into a failed state and Olo will email both the customer and store location letting them know of the order failure.
To change your store's scheduled order billing mode follow the steps below.
- Login to the Dashboard at https://my.olo.com
- Click on the Settings tab on the left side of the screen and then click on Store Settings
- Click on Store Settings
- You may be prompted to select a store if you have access to more than one location through your Dashboard. If so, choose the store from the right-hand section and click on Confirm Store Selection. (You can edit store settings one store at a time).
- Click on Store Information
- Here you can change your scheduled order billing mode.
- Once you have made the relevant updates, click on Save Store Settings.
If you do not Advanced Order Strategy section, it is likely because your account does not have access to those settings. In this case, contact your corporate team for more information.