Through Olo, you have the ability to present upsell items to your customers based on the contents in their cart.
As an example, you can create the following upsells:
- Upsell group called Beverages with the following items:
- Fresh Squeezed Lemonade
- China Mist Iced Tea
- Upsell group called Desserts with the following item:
- Cinnamon Sugar Snack
How Upsells Work on Existing Desktop Sites (Ghost)
Upsells will show up as a pop-up window when the customer hits "Proceed to Checkout". If a customer does not have any of the above items in their basket, from either the Beverages group or the Desserts group, the customer will be asked if they want to add any of those items to their cart. If the customer did have a China Mist Iced Tea in their cart, for example, then the customer wouldn't see any beverage upsells at all since they already have an item from that group in their cart, and they will only see the Desserts group.
A few additional notes
- Only one image can be added to the upsell pop-up. At the bottom of this article you will find additional details on how you can submit the image, as well as the image specs that we require.
- When the customer selects an upsell item to add to their cart, a quantity box will appear, which lets the customer select the quantity of the item they would like to add. This quantity box can also be hidden, so reach out to us if you would like to hide it.
- If you would like to add in a description to the upsell item(s), you can use the Short Description field at the product level, within the Olo Company Menu. Please note that this short description will also appear on the menu item within both mobile web and the app.
How Upsells Work on Serve (New Responsive Sites) and on Current Mobile Web
Unlike with the current desktop sites, upsells will always show on the basket viewer, meaning that the customer does not have to select the "Checkout" option in order to be presented with upsells. And unlike upsells on the current desktop sites, a customer will be presented with all upsell items that do not already exist in their cart. For example, if customer already had a China Mist Iced Tea item in their cart, they will still be presented with the beverages upsell group, and be shown the Fresh Squeezed Lemonade option as well.
A few additional notes regarding upsells on Serve/mobile web
- When a customer picks an item from the upsells to add to their order, the item will be added to the basket with a quantity of “1”. The customer can update the quantity as needed after the upsell item is added to the basket.
- If an image has been added to the item being upsold through the Menu Image Management tool, then the product image will appear above the item within the upsell section in the basket viewer.
- You cannot display a description on the upsell items. Only the item name, price, and any calorie information will be displayed.
General Information on Upsells
- All items that you would like to upsell need to be built out on the Olo Company Menu. Items that do not exist on the Olo Company Menu cannot be added to the upsell tool.
- Upsells are set up at the brand level, meaning you can't upsell different items at different locations within your brand. We do, however, check to see if an item is on that store's menu before upselling it to the customer. Using the above example, if a store does not carry the China Mist Iced Tea, the customer would only see Fresh Squeezed Lemonade as an upsell.
- Items that are added as upsells cannot have any required modifiers, since the upsell pop-up does not support any customization. The upsell tool will only display the item itself, and none of the modifiers under the item, and therefore an item cannot be made available for upsell if it has any required modifiers. However, if there is a required modifier group under an upsell item with preselected choices that meet the modifier requirements, then you could add the item to the upsell since the required modifiers are preselected anyway.
- If you would like to restrict the quantity of an upsell item a customer can order, you can use the Maximum Basket Quantity field at the product level, within the Olo Company Menu. Please note that setting this quantity does not only affect the quantity that customers can order off of the upsell tool, but it also affects how much of the item customers can order from the menu itself.
- Availability settings on products will not be reflected in the upsell tool. If there are availability settings applied to a product that is part of the upsell group, these settings will not dictate if the product is shown in the upsell group or not. The product will display at all times, as long as the product is active within the store menus.
How to Implement Upsells
Ready to get upsells added to your ordering experience? Submit a request with the below information. Prior to submitting the request, please make sure that the item(s) you would like to upsell have been created within your Olo Company Menu and that the item(s) have been added to the demo/lab vendor.
- Brand name
- Name(s) of each Upsell Group
- Item(s) that should be added to each Upsell Group
If you would like an image added to the upsell tool on your current desktop ordering site (only one image can be added), please submit an image with the following specs:
- Accepted file types: .png
- Recommended dimensions: 300x189px
- Required resolution: 72px
- Background must be transparent
Looking to upsell utensils? Refer to the article below