Through Olo, you have the ability to present upsell items to your customers based on the contents in their cart.
As an example, you can create the following upsells:
- Upsell group called Beverages with the following items:
- Fresh Squeezed Lemonade
- China Mist Iced Tea
- Upsell group called Desserts with the following item:
- Cinnamon Sugar Snack
Upsells will display on the Serve front end (web and mobile web), Serve app, and within Switchboard.
How Upsells Work
Upsells show on the basket viewer, and a customer will be presented with all upsell items that do not already exist in their cart. For example, if a customer already had a China Mist Iced Tea item in their cart, they will still be presented with the beverages upsell group and be shown the Fresh Squeezed Lemonade option as well.
A few additional notes regarding upsells
- When a customer picks an item from the upsells to add to their order, the item will be added to the basket with a quantity of “1”. The customer can update the quantity as needed after the upsell item is added to the basket.
- If an image has been added to the item being upsold through the Menu Image Management tool, then the product image will appear above the item within the upsell section in the basket viewer.
- You cannot display a description of the upsell items. Only the item name, price, and any calorie information will be displayed.
General Information on Upsells
- All items that you would like to upsell need to be built out on the Olo Company Menu. Items that do not exist on the Olo Company Menu cannot be added to the upsell tool.
- Upsells are set up at the brand level, meaning you can't upsell different items at different locations within your brand. We do, however, check to see if an item is on that store's menu before upselling it to the customer. Using the above example, if a store does not carry the China Mist Iced Tea, the customer would only see Fresh Squeezed Lemonade as an upsell.
- Items that are added as upsells cannot have any required modifiers, since the upsell pop-up does not support any customization. The upsell tool will only display the item itself, and none of the modifiers under the item, and therefore an item cannot be made available for upsell if it has any required modifiers. However, if there is a required modifier group under an upsell item with preselected choices that meet the modifier requirements, then you could add the item to the upsell since the required modifiers are preselected anyway.
- If you would like to restrict the quantity of an upsell item a customer can order, you can use the Maximum Basket Quantity field at the product level, within the Olo Company Menu. Please note that setting this quantity does not only affect the quantity that customers can order off of the upsell tool, but it also affects how much of the item customers can order from the menu itself.
- Availability settings on products will not be reflected in the upsell tool. If there are availability settings applied to a product that is part of the upsell group, these settings will not dictate if the product is shown in the upsell group or not. The product will display at all times, as long as the product is active within the store menus.
How to Implement Upsells
Ready to get upsells added to your ordering experience? Submit a request with the below information. Prior to submitting the request, please make sure that the item(s) you would like to upsell have been created within your Olo Company Menu and that the item(s) have been added to the demo/lab vendor.
- Brand name
- Name(s) of each Upsell Group
- Item(s) that should be added to each Upsell Group
Looking to upsell utensils? Refer to the article below