Menu Admin users are able to specify which days, dates, and hours a menu item or modifier should be available for ordering. As an example, if you have a breakfast category within the menu, where the breakfast products are only available from 7:00 am until 11:00 am on weekdays, you can set the availability accordingly. You can also use this functionality for a daily special (e.g. Chicken Noodle Soup is only available on Mondays, or to be more specific, it is only available on Mondays from noon till 3:00 pm), or to present LTO's to your customers.
A few things to note:
- Availability verbiage can either be shown or hidden on products. If you have set availability for a product and if the availability verbiage is not displaying although you would like it to, reach out to us and we can enable it for you. Please note that if you have set availability at the modifier level, availability verbiage will not display on modifiers.
- You can either display these menu items/modifiers (that have availability set) at all times on your menu, or you could hide them on the menu outside of their availability days, dates, and hours. The benefit of showing these products and modifiers at all times is that customers can place future orders (e.g. ordering tonight for breakfast tomorrow). Reach out to us if you would like these items to display on the menu at all times.
Steps to Setting Availability:
- Log in to the Olo Dashboard.
- Click on the Menus tab on the left side of the screen and click Manage Store Menu on the next screen.
- Select the store(s) whose menu you’d like to update (these are all the stores you have access to).
- Click a category to expand the list of products (e.g. Hamburgers).
- To update the hours for every product in the category, click on the Add Hours for All Products button.
By doing this, you can easily deselect the days where the product is unavailable by unchecking the box to the left of the day of the week. And you can specify the hours during which the category and its products will be available for ordering.
- Once you update the hours those products are available, click Add Base Hours to save the changes.
If you were to open this tool back up, you will see that it does not show the hours that were set. It will show the default hours. This is due to the fact that hours can also be set within individual products. Taking into example a Lunch category, you could set the entire category to be available from noon till 3 pm. However, you could set a specific item within that category to only be available from 2 pm till 3 pm. To check the hours that have been set either at the category level or at the product level, simply click on an individual item within the category.
- If you would like to update the hours for just a single product, click on the name of the product and then click on the Availability Schedule tab in the pop-up.
You can click on Add Base Hours for All Days if the product is available at the same time every day of the week.
If they differ each day, use the Add Hours button to add hours for each day of the week individually.
- If you would like to update the hours for a modifier choice, click on Modifiers, on the item containing the modifier choice.
Click on Choices on the modifier group containing the modifier choice you are trying to set availability for.
Click on the name of the modifier and then set the appropriate availability within the Availability Schedule tab in the pop-up.
You can click on Add Base Hours for All Days if the modifier is available at the same time every day of the week.
If the availability differs each day, use the Add Hours button to add hours for each day of the week individually.
Change Available Date Range
In addition to changing the availability hours for products and modifiers, you can change the availability date range as well. Within the Availability Settings tab, you will see the option to select an Availability Date Range and make edits.
Availability Display on User-Facing Menu
User-friendly Item Availability information can be made visible on the products you have set availability for. Examples below show how this will look for your customers. We are able to roll up availability based on “weekdays”, “weekends” and “every day”. Please note that availability will not display on modifiers that have availability set. Availability display is only supported at the product level.
If the availability verbiage is not displaying for you, reach out to us and we can enable it for you. We can also hide it if it is displaying at the product level and you would like for it to be hidden.
While Olo has the ability to either hide or show items when they are unavailable, if the items are visible at all times and a customer tries to place an order outside the availability range, Olo will show an error telling the customer the product is available only at designated times.
Menu Item Availability in the Ordering API
API Partners will now have access to Menu Item Availability start and end dates through the menu endpoint in addition to whether an item is “Available Right Now” or “Always Available.”
Menu item availability start and end dates as well as the availability days and hours information is also available within the file produced by the Vendor Export tool.