Menu Admin users are able to specify which days and hours a menu item or modifier should be available for ordering, and also specify the dates during which menu items or modifiers should be available.
These features are useful for a breakfast category, as an example, where the breakfast products are only available from 7:00 am until 11:00 am and unavailable outside those hours. You can also use this functionality for a daily special (e.g. Chicken Noodle Soup is only available on Mondays, or to be more specific, it is only available on Mondays from noon till 3:00 pm).
To access this feature:
- Log in to the Dashboard.
- Click on the Menus tab on the left side of the screen and click Manage Store Menu.
- Select the store(s) whose menu you’d like to update (these are all the stores you have access to).
- Click a category to expand the list of products (e.g. Hamburgers).
- To update the hours for every product in the category, click on the Add Hours for All Products button.
By doing this, you can easily deselect the days where the product is unavailable by unchecking the box to the left of the day of the week. And you can specify the hours during which the category and its products will be available for ordering.
- Once you update the hours those products are available, click Add Base Hours to save the changes.
If you were to open this tool back up, you will see that it does not show the hours that were set. It will show the default hours. This is due to the fact that hours can also be set within individual products. Taking into example a Lunch category, you could set the entire category to be available from noon till 3 pm. However, you could set a specific item within that category to only be available from 2 pm till 3 pm. To check the hours that have been set either at the category level or at the product level, simply click on an individual item within the category.
- If you would like to update the hours for just a single product, click on the name of the product and then click on the Availability Schedule tab in the pop-up.
You can click on Add Base Hours for All Days if the product is available at the same time every day of the week.
If they differ each day, use the Add Hours button to add hours for each day of the week individually.
- If you would like to update the hours for a modifier choice, click on Modifiers, on the item containing the modifier choice.
Click on Choices on the modifier group containing the modifier choice you are trying to set availability for.
Click on the name of the modifier and then set the appropriate availability within the Availability Schedule tab in the pop-up.
You can click on Add Base Hours for All Days if the modifier is available at the same time every day of the week.
If the availability differs each day, use the Add Hours button to add hours for each day of the week individually.
Change Available Date Range
In addition to changing the availability hours for products and modifiers, you can change the availability date range as well. Within the Availability Settings tab, you will see the option to select an Availability Date Range and make edits.
Changes to User-Facing Menu on Desktop
Previously, users were only notified of an item’s availability once they were about to check out. There were also certain edge cases that would expose availability information on the menu directly if a user followed a specific path.
Now, user-friendly Item Availability information is visible on the menu pages on your Desktop Site and in Switchboard. Examples below show how this will look for your customers. We are able to roll up availability based on “weekdays”, “weekends” and “every day”.
We will be adding this feature to Mobile Web v2 and on Mobile Apps shortly. Mobile Web v1 will not support this feature.
NOTE: You have the option to show unavailable items to customers at all times or turn the feature off if you don’t want the information to populate below an item's description. To change this setting for your menu please contact our Help Center and our team will assist you.
Menu Item Availability in the Ordering API
API Partners will now have access to Menu Item Availability start and end dates through the menu endpoint in addition to whether an item is “Available Right Now” or “Always Available.”
We are currently working on exposing Menu Item Availability Start and End Dates as well as the Availability days and hours information through our Vendor Export tool.
- Olo has the ability to either hide or show items when they are unavailable. For example, if breakfast items are only available from 7:00 am until 11:00 am and a customer comes to your ordering page at 5:30 pm, Olo can either show the Breakfast products or hide them so that they are unavailable for ordering. If the items are visible and someone tries to place an order outside the availability range, Olo will show an error telling the customer the product is available only at those designated times.
- The benefit of showing the products at all times is that customers can place future orders (e.g. ordering tonight for breakfast tomorrow).